Positive of upstairs apartment
- Better view of nearby surroundings, especially if you live in a progressive city like Brisbane or any apartment type close to water view.
- More privacy to the owners, since an upstairs apartment is situated away from the busy street or any passerby. Aside from that, you feel more secure because the windows of upstairs apartments aren’t easily accessible.
- If you choose an upstairs apartment, you can benefit from more natural light because there are no more tall buildings to overshadow your unit.
Downside of upstairs apartment
- If you are already near retiring age, climbing stairs, especially if there is no lift facility in the apartment where you wish to move could be a major problem on your health condition and this might also prevent future buyers or tenants from considering your unit.
- Top-floor units during summer months could be extremely hot.
Positive of ground floor apartment
- The best feature of living on the ground floor is the privilege of courtyard areas which are far better and bigger in space than balconies of upstairs apartments.
- No problem about having to exert much effort climbing stairs.
- No need to worry about disturbing neighbors because no one can feel your movement even if you have younger kids who are always in their playful mood.
Downside of ground floor apartment
- Privacy is often sacrificed and this is evident if you bought a ground floor apartment located in the inner-city.
- Living on the ground floor can cause disturbance to your peaceful living because your apartment could be situated close to the driveway where you will be frequently disturbed with the lights of approaching vehicles parking near your unit.
- Upstairs neighbors can also cause your discomfort as they move around their unit, creating unwanted noise, especially if they have younger children who are always on their feet.
What other things to consider before buying an apartment?
- Location of the apartment you are planning to buy is your topmost concern. An upstairs apartment in the city may have a higher selling price in the future than a ground floor apartment due to its panoramic view of the entire city.
- Depends on one’s present needs and lifestyle. For example, if you are a retiree in search for some peace and quiet, buying an apartment located in the suburb area may be an excellent choice.
- If you are a family with active kids, a ground floor apartment sounds appealing because you have full assurance that no neighbors will be irritated as your kids run around or jump while watching their favorite cartoon movie.
The above concerns are just some of the things you must include on your checklist when buying an apartment after downsizing. I’m sure there will be lots of adjustments along the way, but, stay positive for these are only temporary and soon everything will be back to normal, probably better and more convenient on your side.
Don’t be afraid to downsize, find the perfect alternative home and move on because these changes might do more good on your present lifestyle. If there are still apprehensions at the back of your head, talk to a property expert and get some solid advice on what to do next.